Saturday, February 05, 2011

Hamburg to Jelenia Gora

My last day in Hamburg, Anni Ka and I spent in the city, shopping and eating waffles and banana splits. We also went on a sight seeing tour and I got to see the entire city from the top of one of those red double decker buses!

The next morning, we woke up at 5am (arghhhhh!!!) and after breakfast, took the train into Hamburg. I waved goodbye to Anni Ka and her Mum from my 7am train and began the journey home.

I could tell straight away this was a Polish train as there was no dining car. On my three hour train trip from Amsterdam to Brussells there was a drinks cart with snacks on it but on my six hour trip to Wegliniec, nothing! After nearly getting frostbite waiting at the train station for two hours (no heating), I hopped on the train to Jelenia Gora. Frosted windows and going at a snails pace, this has Poland written all over it. When we got to Jelenia Gora, there wasn’t even an announcement or anything! I just scrubbed the ice away from the window, saw a sign and realised we were at our destination! A positive from this train trip was that I made friends with a German guy who spoke English, so when I finished my book, I gave it to him! I got the book from Kathy in Minnesota, so it has now been to Australia, America and Europe and also been through three different hands. Hopefully, he’ll too pass it on to a random train stranger one day!

Waiting at the train station was Mariola and -22 degrees! On the way home we dropped by the new Tesco supermarket and bought some things including ice cream. When we got home, the ice cream went on the balcony. Is a normal freezer even -22 degrees??!

No comments:

Post a Comment