Thursday, January 06, 2011

Warszawa, Part Two



The second day in Warszawa we went to the museum dedicated to the Warsaw Uprising. I learnt a lot about World War Two and I knew about the Warsaw Uprising but I don’t remember ever going into so much detail. When the Nazi’s invaded Poland, they had a difficult time taking Warsaw. Soldier’s fought to keep the city and the civilians helped them with medicine and food etc.


Memorial to the children who fought in the Warsaw Uprising


Memorial where the Warsaw Ghetto used to be

My grandfather fought in the Warsaw Uprising before he was taken prisoner. Nothing to worry about, he jumped out of the train on the way to the POW camp.
At another museum, I got some pictures of the food stamps that were used while Poland was under communist rule by the Soviets. This stuff I found really interesting because Mum and Dad have talked about it and I understand how life was back then, but I got to actually see the cards!



Mieso (meat) and maslo (butter)

MLEKO = Milk

Chopin’s Tomb is also in Warszawa and the benches have buttons and play Chopin’s music. Very nice touch.  


We also went to a memorial that showed all the places/POW camps Polish soldiers were taken during the war.




I also got to have lunch with my Auntie’s family where there was lots of alcohol and Polish food and raw mince meat with stuff in it which I did not know was traditional Polish food. I did not try some.

No comments:

Post a Comment