Sunday, January 02, 2011

Krakow to Warszawa


On our way to Warszawa, we went to the Wielicka Salt Mine. The Wielicka Salt Mine is an underground mine that was used hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Below the ground they miners carved temples out of the salt (so that they could pray before and after work), steps, tunnels and passageways. There are various salt scenes and one is of dwarves depicting miners. All have beards except one and the story is that girls kiss his beard to find a good husband, and that is why it is all gone. Our tour guide was very funny and said, ‘’alas his beard is all gone, but you can get the same results from kissing the tour guide”. And he also said that as part of our ticket price you are allowed to lick five kgs of salt from the walls and floor. I got my money’s worth. Just kidding. One last funny thing he said was that two hours in the salt mine is meant to extend your life by two years, he’s been working there for eighteen years and so should live to about two hundred.
On the drive to Warszawa it was really wet, windy and dark. Driving between cities is difficult and time consuming because there are so many trucks on the road. They’re not as big as the road trains in Australia but they have those containers from ships on the back and most of them are TIRs. A TIR means that it is a trade international route and Poland has these trucks by the hundreds because it is in the middle of so many countries! I saw trucks from Poland, Czech Republic, Germany and Lithuania! Anyway, Poland has lots of small one lane roads so you’re overtaking these trucks every ten minutes and there’s hardly ever just one, it’s two or three trucks in a row! So that is how Poland’s roads look.

On a better note, I had a placek po wegiersku z gulazem for dinner which is my favourite Polish food! It is also Mum’s favourite Polish food so I’m not sure if it’s actually my favourite food or if I call it my favourite because it’s Mum’s favourite BUT I know that I love them. They are a potato pancake shallow fried in oil the size of a dinner plate and then you put goulash on top. Wonderful. You can also make small ones and eat them with sugar or cream and many people like those as well. For me, the goulash makes it. If you’ve never tried one, you’re missing out and when I get home we will make one. Just kidding, I will ask Mum to make one. Moral of the story, dinner was good. The restaurant was also very Polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment